These pot stickers are 100% better than any you can buy and well worth the extra effort. I like to make them and then freeze them so all you have to do is the final steps just before you serve them. I make them every Christmas to have as a quick appetizer. One review commented that she had trouble with them sticking together when she defrosted them – I have not had this happen however to be sure it doesn’t happen to you defrost them separated. I have also fried them directly from the freezer. They only take a few seconds more to cook.
- 2 cups cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, peeled, deveined and finely chopped
- 1 lb lean pork, ground
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine, sherry or 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 64 wonton wrappers (usually 1 pkg)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Sprinkle salt over the shredded cabbage and let stand for 5 minutes, then squeeze out liquid.
- Squeeze out any liquid from the shrimp.
- Mix cabbage, shrimp, pork, soy, wine, onion, oil, ginger and garlic (filling can be mixed and refrigerated for up to 6 hours in advance).
- On each wrapper (keep them covered with a damp cloth so they do no dry out) place about 2 tsp of the mix and seal the edges, use a bit of water on the edge, try to press out all the air and ensure they are tightly sealed (At this point you can freeze them individually on a cookie sheet and them place in a plastic bag. They will keep for a month. Defrost in fridge before continuing).
- In 2 large skillets heat 1 tbsp oil, fry 16 dumplings for 1 minute or until golden on one side add 1/4 cup of stock into the pan, reduce heat to low, cover and cook, without turning for about 7 minutes or until the dumpling is translucent and most of the liquid has evaporated Uncover and on higher heat cook for another 5-7 minutes or until the bottoms are dark brown, drain put on a platter and keep warm.
- Repeat for the remaining 32 dumplings.
- Mix the dipping sauce and serve with warm or hot dumplings.